Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Spirit of Norway Movie

I thought that including this would be amusing. This is the "Spirit of Norway" movie that is shown after the Maelstrom boat ride at EPCOT at Walt Disney World.



OK no, not specifically Heathen, but perhaps something to keep for posterity anyway. Yes, the movie badly needs updating, and maybe one of these days they'll get to it. When they update the Norway pavilion (IF they ever do; please visit EPCOT82's blog for more information on what Disney is and is not doing about it) it's likely this movie will be removed and archived.

And ok, the soppy side of me gets a wee bit misty when the child places his hand on the ship at the end. I can be so sentimental. But...I guess to me, he's looking at odal. He's looking at what has come before him and the inheritance he now carries forward. I wonder where he is now.

Here's a film of the attraction itself...



Here's a film of the entire pavilion, including a few shots of the replica stave church, which houses a small museum about the Vikings:



I'm not really sure what to make of the fact that Disney's Norway pavilion completely capitalizes on stereotypes about Norway, Norwegians and Vikings. I don't know if it creates an incomplete image of Norway and makes it look too medieval, too stuck in the past or what.

On the other hand - I got a cute troll there. LOL!

And what the hell - it's fun for the kids. They eat it up. And they really like seeing the Viking museum and the big Viking ship just outside of it. Sometimes just seeing the way the kids' faces light up makes it all worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment