Monday, November 23, 2009

Update

Aha, this blog is still here! Good.

I've been a little distracted with life of late, but here I am.

Quickie rundown: Joe bought a "new" bike at a pawn shop recently. A 1985 Suzuki somethingorother. I forget what model it is; when he wakes up I'll ask him. He also tried to convince me to buy a little Honda Rebel for $1600. Nice little bike, only had 26K miles on it and was a mid-1980s model. One problem - I can't drive a standard transmission vehicle! Never had to. Ma and Dad both tried to teach me, but I seem to have a mental block when it comes to letting up on the clutch and depressing the accelerator pedal when starting to move from a standstill. I was told "you'll feel it give" and I have no idea what they were talking about. I never felt it "give". Joe thinks I was not taught properly, and if I were to buy that little Honda, he could explain it to me in a way that makes sense. Hah!

Not that I can spare $1600 for a motorcycle! Times are tough, man!

Been watching the ping-pong match that is the health care debate. Suffice to say that while I did vote for Obama:

1: it was under severe duress (the man I really wanted to see in office was Dennis Kucinich of Ohio)

2: I don't agree with everything he does, and one of the disagreements I have with him is over the mandate that all Americans must buy health insurance

Myself personally, I favor HR676 - Medicare for All. I think one of the WORST things that has happened to health care in this country was the way it has been dominated by unrestricted, for-profit private businesses.

Gad zooks. And even if we can't have Medicare for All, we could at least get some control over crap like "you have a pre-existing condition so we won't cover you/are going to drop you" etc. The health care industry is even exempt from the same anti-trust laws that Bill Gates got nailed on, and that's just not right.

:sigh:

The idea of a mandate is a scary thing. If they start there, where will it end??

Meh. It's late, I've got to get to bed because I have to work tomorrow, and it's a short week this week. Huzzah!

No comments:

Post a Comment